Into the Grishaverse #2 - Crooked Kingdom Book Review

I loved Six of Crows so much that I dived right into the next book right after finishing it. Six of Crows had shattered all my expectations and set the bar so high, so my expectation and curiosity were out through the roof for Crooked Kingdom, the second book in the Six of Crows series. Without any doubt, I can say that Crooked Kingdom exceeded my expectations, it's so good that I can't explain it without spoiling the story. I loved every second of reading the book. Leigh Bardugo amazed me with her writing yet again. It just keeps getting better after each page you turn right when you think it can't get anymore better than this.

Crooked Kingdom picked up right where we left off in Six of Crows. The story is so unpredictable, your assumptions and predictions how the story will go are always on a series of onslaught. You'll never see what's coming next just like the city of Ketterdam. It's like when you think you know what's going happen next, Bardugo pushes you into a free fall with you gasping for air.

Bardugo's writing style is one to be applauded. Her style of writing is what makes the book so enjoyable. Her writing pulls you right into the world and makes you feel like you're right there with the characters seeing the things that they are seeing, experiencing the pain, guilt, happiness, and every other emotion that the characters feel.

Let me turn my attention to the main drivers of the story - the characters! The main core of both books in the series, my favourite part of the storyline that makes this series so good. The character arcs of Kaz, Inej, Jesper, Nina, Matthias, and Wylan are so well written. There are certain scenes and dialogues of each character that burned right into my mind, just so amazing, so satisfying. You'll get too attached to the characters that you'll miss them once you finish reading.

Inej is still my favourite character, her wise and empathetic nature after all that she has been through. She is closely followed by Kaz and Wylan. I wanted to know more about Wylan in the first book but now I know why the author was holding back on him. If I go into more detail, I may risk spoiling the entire story.


I actually took it slow so as to enjoy every page of the book and trying not to finish it quickly, knowing that there isn't another in the series. Yet I already miss the characters. My world feels so empty without more of the story. I'm so grateful to my best friend who I address as the Canary, for recommending me the Six of Crows series. Without you, I wouldn't have stumbled upon a gem like this.
Crooked Kingdom is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I absolutely loved the sequel. It was an absolute joy to read, part of the best book series I have ever read.

Crooked Kingdom ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Leigh Bardugo

"I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting"

No Mourners, No Funerals!

Comments

Popular Posts